To take a screenshot on a Macbook, we can immediately use the capture key combination. However, if you want to annotate to the screenshot, you will use the photo editing software. In this article, we will guide you how to take screenshots using keyboard shortcuts on Macbook. Let’s follow this article below.
How to take screenshots on Macbook
Screenshot Macbook with keyboard
On macOS you can take a picture full screen or just a certain part. The screenshots is then saved automatically to the desktop.
Take a screenshot of your Mac’s full screen
- Press Shift + Command (⌘) + 3.
- Find screenshots in the .png file format on the desktop.
Capture part of screen preferences on Macbook
- Press Shift + Command + 4, the mouse pointer will change to a cross.
- Move the cross over the area where you want to start capturing the screen, drag it all the way to the area to capture. While dragging, you hold down the Shift, Option or Space key to change the way the selection moves.
- When you have selected the area to take a screenshot, release the mouse or trackpad. To cancel, press the Esc key before you release the mouse button.
- The screenshot is saved as a .png file on the desktop.
Capture a menu on a Macbook
- Click on the menu to display the contents of the menu.
- Press Shift + Command + 4, the mouse pointer will turn into a cross.
- Drag the mouse to select a menu.
- Release the mouse or trackpad to capture the screen. You also press the Esc key if you want to cancel the photo.
- Find menu snapshot in .png format on desktop.
If you just want to capture the menu content but don’t want to get the name of the menu, you press the Space key when the mouse pointer turns to a cross. The cursor will turn into a camera then moving this camera through the menu to highlight it > click or trackpad for menu capture.
Display the screen capture menu
Shift + Command + 5 is a relatively new shortcut introduced in macOS Mojave (2018). Pressing this combination will bring up a small panel at the bottom of the screen with different screen capture options.
Two video recording buttons allow you to record full or partial screen. To the left is the X to close the screen recording options or you can press the Esc key to exit.
To the right is the Options button. This button allows you to choose where to save the screenshot or set the standby mode (5-10 seconds) so you can organize things using the tool.
Capture the Touch Bar on macOS
You can refer to detailed instructions in the article: How to take a screenshot of the Touch Bar on a Macbook.
If the computer screen capture features available on macOS are not satisfying, then try some more macOS screen capture software to see how.